This story was originally published on October 27, 2017.
Whether or not participated in the recent #MeToo conversation (though it’s actually been happening for years), it’s a good time for a mix about speaking up. Women are raising their voices against serial abusers whose power in their fields sheltered them for years. And non-famous women globally have doubled down, making it clear that sexual abuse is endemic. THAT SAID, if you are a survivor, you don’t owe anyone your story, and the choice of whether or not to publicly participate in #MeToo is for you alone to make.
In solidarity with everyone who posted their story, and everyone who has a story but didn’t post it, here is a weekend mix about knowing your truth, telling it, shouting it, singing it; about knowing your voice matters, whatever you choose to do with it.
1. Dessa - “Fighting Fish”
2. Katy Perry - “Roar”
3. Tracy Chapman - “Tell it Like it Is”
4. Helen Reddy - “I Am Woman”
5. Sara Bareilles - “Brave”
6. Kacey Musgraves - “Follow Your Arrow”
7. Rachel Platten - “Fight Song”
8. Sia - “Bird Set Free”
9. Genevieve - “Colors”
10. Solange featuring Sampha - “Don’t Touch My Hair”
11. Carole King - “One Small Voice”
12. Bikini Kill - “Double Dare Ya”