It's Tuesday and International Women's Day!
• Learn more about the history of International Women’s Day! [Stuff Mom Never Told You]
• Vanessa Angelica Villarreal’s poems bring her family’s history to light in narratives that draw on myth, magical realism, and performance. [PBS]
• Leaked internal data shows that a search query for “sexual assault” returns 6,160 Uber customer support tickets and a search for “rape” returns 5,827 individual tickets. [Buzzfeed]
• Pull back the curtain on the sexist, racist history of beauty pageants. [Racked]
• A recent episode of This American Life leaves us to believe that rape victims have a responsibility to prove their case to others, because doubt is the natural byproduct of “how people think.” [The Establishment]
We want to hear from our community about what we should be covering this week! Share your thoughts and we'll talk about your ideas at our editorial meeting this week.