• This has been a long time coming. President Obama announced a new, multiagency strategy designed to empower the world’s adolescent girls—250 million of whom live in poverty, 62 million of whom are out of school and 15 million of whom marry as children each year. [Ms.]
• The costs of higher education are great—and even greater for women. [The Establishment]
• Kansas legislators have introduced a pair of awful bills that would prohibit transgender students from using restrooms that match their gender. The bill applies to all public schools and public universities. And it gets even more ridiculous—anyone who sees someone transgender in the bathroom could sue their school for $2,500. [ThinkProgress]
• Who gets to be the ambassador of a cuisine? [NPR]
• Check out these stunning portraits of Oaxaca’s indigenous communities. [Remezcla]
We want to hear from our community about what we should be covering this week! Share your thoughts and we'll talk about your ideas at our editorial meeting this week.