Happy Thursday! Want to get this weekday roundup in your inbox? Sign up at the bottom of this post!
• Roxane Gay on race, crime, and Brock Turner. [Lenny]
• Yesterday, Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) began a talking filibuster to pressure Republicans to accept legislation that would deny suspected terrorists from purchasing firearms and require universal background checks. [Mother Jones]
• Pregnant women are being shackled in prison and jail facilities in Massachusetts—and no prison or jail in the entire states has policies that are fully compliant with Massachusetts law. [Rewire]
• Last week, jurors refused to serve under Brock Turner’s sentencing judge, and this week, prosecutors successfully removed Judge Aaron Persky from a new sexual-assault case. [The Atlantic]
• Read this gorgeous essay on Latin Night at the Queer Club. [The Washington Post]
Here's what we published yesterday at Bitch!
• Here’s the first installment in Tamara Winfrey-Harris’s new monthly Bitch column, Some Of Us Are Brave, all about the intersected identities and experiences of American women. This month we’re digging into four steps Clinton could take to move Black women’s reception from “I guess…” to “Yes!”
• Today, young feminist women of color are fighting to transform the economic status of women—and they are succeeding.