Yeay Friday! Want to get this weekday roundup in your inbox? Sign up at the bottom of this post!
• This is so important: “The mistake we make is in thinking rape isn’t premeditated, that it happens by accident somehow, that you’re drunk and you run into a girl who’s also drunk and half-asleep on a bench and you sidle up to her and things get out of hand and before you know it, you’re being accused of something you’d never do. But men who rape are men who watch for the signs of who they feel like they can rape.” [Buzzfeed]
• Why yesterday’s decision in Fisher v. University of Texas was so important and #BeckyWithTheBadGrades. [The Establishment & Refinery 29]
• A journalist spent four months as a private prison guard in Louisiana. Here’s what he saw. [Mother Jones]
• The Baltimore police officer driving the van in which Freddie Gray suffered fatal injuries to his spinal cord last April was found not guilty of murder and cleared of all charges he faced yesterday. [Slate]
• Yes yes yes! Watch the trailer for Issa Rae's HBO show Insecure. [YouTube]
Here's what we published yesterday at Bitch!
• Turn up the volume and do some decompression with this episode of Backtalk and summer music we love.
• Too often, tourists engage in gross practices and act a mess. Here's what to avoid.
• You know the saying: One woman’s day-to-day struggle is another woman’s passion project.
• Dollar General was fighting against the rights of a Native American tribal court to prosecute a sexual assault. They lost.