Want to get this weekday roundup in your inbox? Sign up at the bottom of this post!
On Our Radar: August 8th
• Here’s a gem of a new interview with Winona Ryder. [New York Magazine]
• Unsportsmanlike Conduct: College Football and the Politics of Rape investigates the systematic ways rape culture is perpetuated in college football. [The Chronicle of Higher Education]
• This comic about natural hair and chemical relaxer is so great. [The Nib]
• Katinka Hosszu just set a world record in the 400-meter individual medley, but NBC commentators gave her husband credit for it. [Jezebel]
• No! A judge has dismissed the federal lawsuit filed by the Satanic Temple that claimed that Missouri’s 72-hour abortion waiting period violated a Satanic Temple member’s First Amendment right to religious freedom. [Broadly]
• There’s a national shortage of two drugs administered to trans women that medical providers call “life-saving”—and it could last months. [Out]
• Have you been listening to the Undisclosed podcast? The show investigates wrongful convictions and the U.S. criminal justice system, ultimately providing a better understanding of how wrongful convictions actually occur. Listen.
Here’s what we published yesterday at Bitch!
• This is the BitchTape you’ve been looking for: female-fronted emo & pop punk 4ever.
• “As a community we long ago decided our goals weren’t to be legitimized by the system but to assert our legitimacy despite it.”
• It’s worth considering what kind of exploitation makes our spectatorship of the Olympics possible.