Want to get this weekday roundup in your inbox? Sign up at the bottom of this post!
On Our Radar: August 11th
• Paid leave is gaining momentum! [Rewire]
• An (authorized) Angela Davis biopic will be coming soon! She’s teaming up with a producer of Fruitvale Station and Dope to create the film based on her autobiography. [Colorlines]
• Female Olympians screaming (With joy? With relief? All the emotions!)! [Buzzfeed]
• A district attorney in Texas incarcerated rape survivors in order to compel their testimony in court—now she’s facing a lawsuit. [Salon]
• Female comedians agree: Men just aren’t funny. [The Cut]
Here’s what we published yesterday at Bitch!
• A brief history of radical cheerleading, which mixes peppy chants with anti-establishment politics.
• From our Some of Us Are Brave columnist Tamara Winfrey Harris: “Because female power is assumed to be beauty, and female beauty is latched tight to youth, our power is believed to fade over time.”