Want to get this weekday roundup in your inbox? Sign up at the bottom of this post!
On Our Radar: August 15th
• No more “honey” or “sweetheart” in US courts! The American Bar Association now bars lawyers from any “harmful verbal or physical conduct that manifests bias or prejudice against others,” like addressing women with sexist remarks in the courtroom. This is great news, but why did is this just now happening in 2016? [Quartz]
• Let this quote from a former senior employee of Twitter sink in: “Seriously, if you were an alien and you came down to look at this thing, you’d say, ‘Oh, [Twitter] was basically built for maximum ease of trolling.’ Like, they must have built this for trolls.” Now take a look inside Twitter’s 10-year failure to stop harassment. [Buzzfeed]
• A white male athlete accused of sexual assault took a plea deal that downgraded his original felony charge to a potential slap on the wrist because, according to the County Attorney, the case is “two people with a lot of issues between them. We are trying to resolve it in a way that’s good for all. Prison would not do this kid any good.” Wow, it’s almost like we’ve seen this exact kind of messed-up logic before! [Jezebel]
• Mortality data is failing Native Americans because death certificates often misclassify American Indians and Alaska Natives as white. [Pacific Standard]
• “Tolerance for rape is an old but freshly infuriating story. Victims deserve a new solution, not a stale policy.” [The New York Times]
• #CoverTheAthlete is demanding media coverage that focuses on the athlete rather than sexist commentary, inappropriate interview questions, and articles focused on physical appearance. Yeah!
Here’s what we published yesterday at Bitch!
• Joani Blank was a visionary go-getter who will be sorely missed.
• This BitchTape features Brazilian feminist musicians who make history in Brazilian riot grrrl culture.
• Women who are skilled competitors and elite athletes should have the chance to shine more than once every four years.
• In Backtalk, we have a spoiler-free conversation about Netflix show Stranger Things. Winooooonaaaaaa!