Want to get this weekday roundup in your inbox? Sign up at the bottom of this post!
On Our Radar: August 18th
• Cynthia Nixon is playing Emily Dickinson in a new biopic. [Elle]
• Amy Schumer said she’s “saddened” by Kurt Metzger’s mocking of rape victims. The Inside Amy Schumer writer has been harassing women online since 2013. [The Guardian]
• In response to the Metzger mess, the women’s satire site Reductress is devoting its entire landing page to humor articles (primarily written by women) about rape. [Jezebel]
• Why is the incarceration rate of women in the U.S. going up? [Quartz]
• Feminism and inclusion at the Rio Olympics. [Autostraddle]
Here’s what we published yesterday at Bitch!
• Blossom mixes jazz and soul for music that’s the essence of chill.
• When women are told they’re worse athletes, they perform worse. And our society tells them they’re not as good as men in all kinds of ways.
• A reader Ask(s) Bear if they’re missing out by not drinking—but worries about spiraling into addiction.
• Did you know that you can ask us a question on feminism or pop culture and we might publish an article in response?