Here's all the news we're reading about this Tuesday:
• At a tearful press conference, Obama announced a plan for more gun control nationwide, including background checks for all gun purchases. Thirty thousand Americans die each year in gun violence, Obama said. “We do not have to accept this carnage as the price of freedom.” [Guardian]
• The Obama administration is also asking the Supreme Court to strike down the abortion restriction laws in Texas that have shuttered half the state's clinics. [Reuters]
• A “gay conversion therapy” group in New Jersey will permanently shut down after losing a court battle last summer. [Mother Jones]
• On Oregon's militia standoff: “We can't reward white, right-wing extremists every time they pull a gun and threaten violence.” [Salon]
• Margot Robbie talks about playing the character of Harley Quinn in upcoming film Suicide Squad: “Harley is creepy, violent, crazy—all of the things that I aspire to be!” [The Mary Sue]
• One critic calls new Leonardo DiCaprio film The Revenant “a prestige episode of Jackass.” [Slate]
What did I miss? Add what you're reading to the comments.