On Backtalk, hosts Amy Lam and Sarah Mirk discuss top pop culture stories of the week, offering snappy feminist analysis on the issues, people, and media that are making headlines right now.
This week, there was so much big news. Amy and Sarah talk about the Baltimore protests, Bruce Jenner’s big interview on coming out as transgender, and the Supreme Court hearings on same-sex marriage.
Also on Backtalk, we talk about one thing we read, saw, and heard this week.
• Read: Sarah loves this new science-nerdy history comic The Thrilling Adventures of Lovelace and Babbage.
• Saw: Kathleen Hanna documentary The Punk Singer is now on Netflix.
• Heard: Amy is all about the new Hop Along album.
Resources for this week:
• Ta’Nehisi Coates’s article “Nonviolence As Compliance” in The Atlantic.
• Race Forward’s new video series “What is Systemic Racism?”
• Kay Ulanday Barrett’s discussion on Fusion about Bruce Jenner with two trans women on color.
• The photo featured on this week’s show is by Susan Melkisethian.
This episode of Backtalk is brought to you by longtime Bitch Media sponsor GladRags, bringing you all of the essentials for a safe, sustainable period. Learn more about cloth pads and menstrual cups when you sign up for their newsletter at GladRags.com, and be entered to win a mini cloth pad starter set! Make sure to tell ‘em BackTalk sent you!
Subscribe to Bitch’s podcasts through our audio RSS feed.