On Backtalk, hosts Amy Lam and Sarah Mirk discuss top pop culture stories of the week, offering snappy feminist analysis on the issues, people, and media that are making headlines right now.
This week, Amy is busy eating dosas in California, but she and Sarah still find time to talk about the ACLU calling for an investigation of Hollywood's sexism, a new report about online harassment, and exploitation of workers in nail salons.
Also on Backtalk, we talk about one thing we read, saw, and heard this week.
• Read: Celeste Ng's Everything I Never Told You revolves around a Chinese-American family in the 1970s.
• Saw: Jada Pinkett-Smith and family talk about identity and motherhood in this web video Red Table Talk.
• Heard: Sarah is a sucker for minimalist dream pop, so she's digging LA duo Bouquet.
Resources for this week:
• Read about the ACLU calling for an investigation of gender bias in Hollywood.
• Here's the Women, Action, and the Media report on Twitter harassment.
• Reporter Sarah Maslin Nir put together the excellent New York Times investigation of nail salons.
This episode of Backtalk is brought to you by longtime Bitch Media sponsor GladRags, bringing you all of the essentials for a safe, sustainable period. Learn more about cloth pads and menstrual cups when you sign up for their newsletter at GladRags.com, and be entered to win a mini cloth pad starter set! Make sure to tell ‘em BackTalk sent you!
The Sailor Moon nail art photo featured on this week's show is by Losthompsons.
Subscribe to Bitch's podcasts on iTunes, Soundcloud, or the Stitcher mobile app.
Subscribe to Bitch's podcasts through our audio RSS feed.
Download an MP3 of this podcast on Soundcloud or just browse our podcast archives here on Bitch Media.
1 Comment Has Been Posted
Red Table Talk
Qathi Hart replied on
The full Red Table Talk is at http://on.aol.com/video/red-table-talks--jada-pinkett-smith--willow-smit...
Add new comment