As a sixteen-year-old and lover of country music, I often struggle with the demeaning lyrics about women in mainstream country music perpetuates. However, there have always been a few artists who break that mold and manage to produce great country music with a positive, empowering theme. Country music and feminism are not mutually exclusive.
Here's a playlist of current artists (and a few old favorites) who achieve just that.
Check out our archive of over 200 Bitch-made mixtapes.
- Gunpowder and Lead by Miranda Lambert
- Steal Me Away by Olivia Lane
- Man! I Feel Like a Woman by Shania Twain
- Pretty Girls Neko Case
- Goodbye Earl by The Dixie Chicks
- If You Told Me To by Hunter Hayes
- Bathroom Sink by Miranda Lambert
- Going Out Like That by Reba NcEntire
- Love Thing by Olivia Lane
- Before He Cheats by Carrie Underwood
- Wide Open Spaces by The Dixie Chicks
- Quarterback by Kira Isabella
- Heads Carolina, Tails California by Danielle Bradbury
- Mean by Taylor Swift
- Girl In A Country Song by Maddie & Tae
Related Listening: Last year, we made a “Feminist Country” mixtape of mostly older artists.