I'm going on a cruise tomorrow, and I've compiled a list of songs to put me (and you!) in a cruisin' state of mind. Though I'm imagining myself jamming to these tracks on a massive boat wearing a caftan and some wide-legged pants—daiquiri in hand—they're also great for dry-land listening. So grab your boat drink and let's set sail on a wave of cruisic!
- Track list:
- Ease Your Feet in the Sea: Belle and Sebastian. Dippin' our toes in before we set sail!
- Oceanside: The Decemberists. Setting the mood with a little oceanside pillow talk.
- Orinoco Flow: Enya. Sail away! Sail away! Sail away!
- The Sea is My Soil: Astrud Gilberto. What would a cruise be without some Gilberto?
- Sloop John B: The Beach Boys. I love this song, but I hope the first mate doesn't get drunk and eat up all of my corn on this cruise.
- Girl Sailor: The Shins. “Sail her, don't sink her”!
- Rock the Boat: Yo La Tengo. A cover, yes, but a fun one.
- Boat Drinks: Jimmy Buffett. My entire cruising philosophy comes from this song.
- Cruisin': Huey Lewis and the News. Obviously!
- Sailing: Christopher Cross. The last track on the mix, to take us into the sunset in style.
If you have a cruising song to share, leave it in the comments! Bon Voyage!