Even though we’ve already talked a little about some of our favorite albums of 2009, and even though we’ve down a decade-tastic mix tape, and even though we’re already into 2010, I don’t see any reason to stop recapping, especially with all the good music that came out last year. I’ma do whatever! My mix is not only some of the best tracks that came out this year, but tracks that make you want to get. down. Have a good weekend shaking it to these singles that Aught-a (!) make your weekend a little dancier.
1. Micachu - Golden Phone I just learned about this British act and won’t be heading into 2010 without them. Mica Levi heads the band and according to Wikipedia, makes up her own instruments!
2. Rihanna - Hard Rihanna came back from her uncomfortable place in the public eye with Rated R and did not disappoint. As Jezebel’s Dodai put it, she’s leaving the past behind and “getting back to the business of being fabulous.”
3. Noisettes - Wild Young Hearts If you like the Strokes, Lily Allen, and the things pop punk as a genre is doing these days, you will love this trio. And front lady/fashion icon Shingai Shoniwa is a-MAZ-ing!
4. La Roux - Bulletproof (See comments)
4. Sliimy - Womanizer Even though this is “Lady Traxx” and Sliimy is a French dude, I am obsessed with this cover, and I would like to see you try and argue the original is better.
4. Dirty Projectors - Stillness is the Move. This song made a lot of top ten songs and for good reasons. Repeat button, anyone?
5. MEN - Simultaenously this one’s a doozy, clocking in at six and a half minutes, but it’s worth it, and one of my favorite songs from the performance art/electronic outift MEN!
6. The Gossip - Heavy Cross. DUH.
7. A plus D: Don’t You Want My Bad Romance (mash-up)Confession: If I heard “Bad Romance” and am not privy to the acid-trip eyes, robo-dance moves, and charred bed of the out-of-control video, I really don’t care for the song too much. Instead, I’ll treat you to this mash-up of the Gaga-licious song with the Human League’s “Don’t You Want Me” done by A plus D, to make your listening pleasure pleasurable.
8. Mary J. Blige - Good Love. Although it hasn’t been out for long, her album “Stronger” is another album that knows self-love is just as important as romance-love (and it features the heartbreaking “Color” she recorded for Precious. ) Get your dance on with this track though, featuring T. I. !
Mix photo from Allard One’s Flickr stream