Hooray for the Prop 8 ruling! Sure, we have to wait to see what the Supreme Court says, but in the meantime I thought we could celebrate with a special BitchTapes (the way all important political events should be celebrated, obvs). A mix filled with fun songs about weddings, complete with some same-sex marriage jams!
1. Love and Marriage—Frank Sinatra: It may forever conjure images of Peg and Al Bundy, but this song reminds us that if you love someone, you’ll probably end up putting a ring on it.
2. Chapel of Love—The Dixie Cups: No wedding day would be complete without a trip to the Chapel of Love!
3. Dracula’s Wedding—Outkast: If Twilight has taught us anything, it’s that vampires want to get married too. Really, really badly.
4. Hotel Yorba—The White Stripes: If he’s the one you love the most, you can say “I do” at least. Sheesh!
5. White Wedding—Billy Idol: So I think this might be a sarcastic purity comment made to a pregnant bride, but some days are just nice for white weddings, aren’t they?
6. Be My Wife—David Bowie: I hope performing this song is how he proposed to Iman.
7. Be My Husband—Antony & The Johnsons: This subversive, queer rendition is perfect for our Prop 8 celebration!
8. Marry Me—Tender Forever: The best part about the Prop 8 ruling? Tender Forever and the cool girl she’s singing about can finally get hitched (if they move to California, anyway).
9. When We Get Married—The Dreamlovers: No matter how cynical you are about the institution of marriage, this track just plucks at the heartstrings.
10. Let’s Get Married—Al Green: Who could resist a proposal from Al Green?
11. Let’s Get Married—Jagged Edge: Not as romantic as the Al Green song of the same name (Jagged Edge justifies this proposal by saying “We ain’t gettin’ no younger) but a solid wedding jam nonetheless.
12. Will You Marry Me?—Paula Abdul: Paula Abdul was the first person to introduce the notion of girls proposing to boys to my 10-year old brain. Who better to usher in a new era of boys proposing to boys and girls proposing to girls, then?
So, there you have it—a mix of happy wedding songs to get you in the Prop 8 Ruling Celebration mood. Please add your wedding song suggestions to the comments section! Now, without further ado, I now pronounce you feminist and mixtape.