Hmmm… Does this film appear to be fiercely feminist, or just a sexist wolf masquerading in Runaways-theme-song-female-empowerment-clothing? YOU MAKE THE CALL!
Though on the surface this trailer may appear to be a typical high school horror flick, a closer look reveals much much more. (Especially for feminists! Hooray!) In the interest of simplicity, here is a point/counterpoint list of things that might be of interest:
POINT: IT’S FEMINIST!
- Directed by a woman (Karyn Kusama)
- Written by a woman (the aforementioned Cody, whose name is heavily featured in the trailer in a way few women writers typically are)
- Main character (the demon-possessed cheerleader played by Megan Fox) appears to be using her evil powers to seek revenge against jerk-y guys
- Name of film comes from a Hole song (“Jennifer’s Body”)
- Trailer features grrrltastic songs by The Runaways and The Waitresses
- Looks like there are some pretty funny parts, and feminists like funny stuff (and Amy Sedaris! And Adam Brody! [Okay Brody might not be a feminist favorite, but he was pretty good on the O.C.])
COUNTERPOINT: NO WAY IS IT FEMINIST!
- Appears to be a vehicle to allow Megan Fox to flash her bod and be ogled by horndogs
- Makes women look like either femme fatale crazy killers (Fox) or uber-nerds (sorry Amanda Seyfried, you are really great but the beanie and glasses indicate that your character is supposed to be a dork)
- According to the plot synopsis, looks like this might be another attempt by Hollywood to punish women for liking sex by turning them into demons, putting them in insane asylums, and murdering them
- Makes light of bisexuality and promotes faux-lesbianism in order to up the sex appeal (She goes both ways? Puh-leez.)