- HuffPo reports on Rachel Maddow’s statement that “[g]ay people—generally speaking—have a responsibility to our own community and to future generations of gay people to come out, if and when we feel that we can.” Do you agree?
- ColorLines talks about the attack on a trans woman at McDonald’s and the questions it raises about hate crime laws. Questioning Transphobia also speaks out about the shameful incident. (Trigger warning for transphobic violence.)
- Bitch Flicks recalls bell hooks’ still-pertinent words about race and gender in films.
- On Trans/plant/portation, Bitch contributor EvMaroon humorously dissects a bizarre religious invitation.
- Feministe discusses the myriad frustrations with clothes’ inconsistent sizes.
- Also at Feministe: Will you be near Madison on May 26-30? Check out WisCon, the feminist sci-fi and fantasy convention! Past panelists include Emily Horner.
- Feministing gives a run-down of a Times article about colleges’ failure to comply with Title IX.
- Gender Focus explores the societal notion that cats are for girls and dogs are for boys.
- Twisty unpacks the slut-shaming and victim-blaming in recent news stories at I Blame the Patriarchy. (Trigger warning for domestic violence and sexual abuse of a minor.)
- TransGriot updates us on Caster Semenya’s athletic plans.
- The Arizona Republic talks about the many negative repercussions of the hateful SB 1070. (via Racialicious)
- Bitch contributor Sady Doyle hilariously snarks on reality TV mogul Aaron Sorkin’s abysmal-sounding next show at Tiger Beatdown.
- AfterEllen interviews Malindo Lo, author of Bitch YA Reading Club’s selection Ash, which we’ll be discussing in July!
- Bitch contributor s.e. smith gives guidelines on “How to Evaluate Disabled Characters in Pop Culture, for Nondisabled Viewers.”
- Have you seen the Budweiser commercial with the soldier implied to be queer? If not, Mother Jones has you covered.
- Our Turn: Feminism for Newbies remembers Lisa “Left Eye” Lopes.
- RH Reality Check tells us more about the infuriating “Don’t Say Gay” bill. (reposted at AlterNet) In happier news, Queerty explains Sir Ian McKellen’s homophobia-busting school tour.
- Speaking of… Queerty’s coming back!
Thoughts? What have you been reading?
2 Comments Have Been Posted
This week I wrote a post
Kate Coenen replied on
This week I wrote a post about the Lavender Graduation at the University of Michigan, which celebrates LGBT and ally students: http://tinyurl.com/3l3y2p3
Although I understand Rachel
LAURA STEVICK replied on
Although I understand Rachel Maddow's view, I almost feel like she's blaming other people who have not come out yet...I would assume she doesn't mean that, but the wording is just a little odd to me. I think it would have come across better and more inspiring if she explained that's why SHE came out, because she felt a responsibility because she's in the public eye instead of saying other people should do what she did.
Add new comment