Bringing you fine, feminist work from around the web!
- Bitch YA Blogger Jessica Stites follows up on police response to Ms.’ petition demanding they apologize for having a woman who reported her rape fined.
- Queerty shares a video and list, “Just In Case You Forgot Why The Family Research Council Is A Hate Group.”
- Monica at TransGriot provides a history lesson about the 1921 Tulsa Race Riot. (Trigger warning for discussion of racism and physical violence.)
- Bitch contributor Sady Doyle reports on Friday’s protest of last week’s shameful “not guilty” verdict at the Raw Story.
- Shakesville’s Melissa McEwan comments on the latest fail by the New York Times. (Quotable: “This column smells like barf.”)
- Tom at Original Plumbing talks about the Lambda Literary Awards and being an out artist.
- Check out V-Girls’ latest project: collecting photo, video and text submissions for the I Am an Emotional Creature workshops they’ll be leading with Eve Ensler in South Africa.
- The Guardian reports on author Naipaul’s eyeroll-inducing insistence that no woman could write as well as him.
- Feministe’s Clarisse gives us the rundown on feminist sci-fi awards!
- Bitch contributor Emily Manuel blurbs about the “fauxtreversy” around baby Storm’s biological sex being a secret and the “imposing their ideology” accusation at Tiger Beatdown.
- At AlterNet, Laura Rena Murray explains the wrongheaded practice of police pointing to condom-carrying as evidence of being a sex worker… and the oft-dismissed bill that would prevent it.
- Mother Jones reports on the FIFA soccer scandal.
- WTF? Feministing discusses Cadbury’s new ad, which compares Naomi Campbell and a chocolate bar.
Any reactions to the pieces we’ve shared? What else have you been reading?
2 Comments Have Been Posted
Owl replied on
I took Guardian's "Naipaul test" (http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/quiz/2011/jun/02/naipaul-test-author-s-s...) being able to tell the difference between a male and a female writer. I tested the test, submitting a variety of patterns of answers, and each time I got this result: "Sloppy thinking. You need to read more book by men." If you score less than a 4/10, the quiz results say, "What are you, a girl or something?" If you get a 10/10, it refers to you as a "Sir Vidia" and call you "sexually acute." Even if this is supposed to be "ironic," it's fucking gross.
And in honest answers, they all seemed about the same to me: human.
Deb Jannerson replied on
I think they're trying to make fun of Naipaul by speaking in his voice, but it's "gross" indeed, given that many people are sure to share his misogynistic opinions and take the quiz seriously.
Add new comment