Here’s what you missed while you were planning your Oscars party…
- At This Ain’t Livin’, s.e. smith wants to know where are all the disabled pop culture creators?
- Mother Jones has a birth control calculator that estimates costs over a woman’s lifetime.
- Via Crunk Feminist Collective, Yolo Akili offers a nuanced take on the Rihanna-Chris Brown gossip of this week.
- Kelly Thompson has a thorough piece on the objectification of female superheroes in comics at Comics Should Be Good.
- For you L-Word fans out there, Kate Moenning has been cast as a lesbian detective in a new Showtime pilot.
- On Ebony.com, Dream Hampton and Too $hort dialog about accountability and abuse in the wake of his inexcusable video that went up on XXL last week.
- It’s the Oscars this weekend: at IndieWire you can check out Melissa Silverstein’s video montage of women directors who were overlooked (again) this year.
Tell us what you are reading in the comments!
3 Comments Have Been Posted
Mother Jones birth control calculator
Elizabeth Kissling replied on
The birth control calculator at Mother Jones <a href="http://menstruationresearch.org/2012/02/22/what%e2%80%99s-missing-from-m... a bit to be desired</a> -- it assumes hormonal methods are the only birth control options.
RE: Mother Jones birth control calculator
Morgan Hecht replied on
<p>Thanks for sharing that link! I agree that the Mother Jones birth control calculator doesn't represent the full spectrum of birth control options and definitely isn't an exact science, but I do appreciate the intentions behind the effort to educate people on how heavy a financial burden birth control can be for women. </p>
Monica Flynn replied on
Yeah, I'd love to see the non-hormonal calculator too!
And the calculator for the side effects of taking hormonal birth control-- blood clots, depression, etc, and all the accompanying doctor visits, ER visits, and extra medications to manage the side effects!
Add new comment