Happy Friday! Here’s what we’re reading today:
• Emmy nominations blow away Oscars with number of queer and black women nominated. [Autostraddle]
• In her response to the report of rape by The Runaways’ Jackie Fuchs, Bitch Media advisory board member Ann Powers writes, “The history of rock turns on moments in which women and young boys were exploited in myriad financial, emotional and sexual ways.” [NPR]
• “The Myth of Ethical Shopping” challenges readers to think about how to influence corporate power. [Huffington Post Highline]
• Does this book sound great or what? This reviewer calls Oreo, by Fran Ross, a “sandwich-cookie of a feminist comic novel.” [NYT]
• Extra time today? Spend a few minutes trying to wrap your head around Jeb Bush’s wife, Columba Bush. He fell for her at age 17 on a high school trip to Mexico. [The Atlantic]
• Tina Fey and Amy Poehler will star in the upcoming film Sisters. [YouTube]
What are you reading today? Let us know in the comments below!
Want the best of Bitch in your inbox? Sign up for our free Weekly Reader!