Here’s all the news we’re reading today:
• A gunman killed two people in a Louisiana movie theater showing Trainwreck. Governor Bobby Jindal, presidential candidate and gun supporter said that he never imagined this would happen in Louisiana. Really? Why not? And your job is to plan for these possibilities. [New Civil Rights Movement]
• Sandra Bland shouldn’t have been arrested. She knew her rights, stated them, and was hauled off to jail anyway. [New Republic]
• Jill Filipovic reflects on feminism and the problem with pop stars—that would be Taylor Swift this week—oversimplifying feminism and obscuring its critical objectives. [Washington Post]
• Fox devoted 10 segments in one day to that misleading, heavily edited video targetting Planned Parenthood. [Media Matters]
• Why aren’t there more people of color working in journalism? Well, for one thing, they have a harder time getting hired. [Columbia Journalism Review]
• Did you read that really annoying piece in Slate about the male feminist and his complicated feelings about his love of summer grilling? Thank you Sarah Seltzer for responding. [Slate, Flavorwire]
• Lindy West writes about her perfect wedding: “I was fat the whole time!” [Guardian]
• And the best news you’ve heard today: Janet Jackson has a brand-new music video.
Don’t forget to share what you are reading in the comments section below!
Want the best of Bitch in your inbox? Sign up for our free weekly reader!
0 Comments Have Been Posted
Add new comment