Here’s what’s on our radar today!
• Sen. Elizabeth Warren introduced a common sense but incredibly vital bill that would prevent employers from using credit checks in the hiring process, a practice that disproportionately disqualifies people of color, women, and low-wage workers. [Mother Jones]
• Pussy Riot members Nadezhda Tolokonnikova and Maria Alekhina are likely to be set free after the passage of a Russian amnesty bill. [Jezebel]
• On the addition of Tauriel to The Hobbit franchise and its sexist blowback. [The Mary Sue]
• Mia McKenzie talks about race, feminism, and Beyonce’s new album. [Black Girl Dangerous]
• In a step forward, the Netherlands just passed a law that will allow transgender people to affirm their identity on legal documents with a statement from “an expert” testifying to their desire to change their gender identification. The current law, which this law will supersede, requires a court order and sterilization or gender modification surgery. [Buzzfeed]
• In the real war on Christmas, a white teacher shamed his black student for dressing up as Santa, because according to him and Fox News host Megyn Kelly, Santa can only be white. [Feministing]
• Check out this article and video about Rozo Regal, a queer rapper in Watts, Los Angeles, and her producer Galli. [Audio Vision]
• The Sochi Winter Olympics Presidential Delegation includes two lesbians, Billie Jean King and Caitlin Cahow. [Autostraddle]
• And, if you live in the US, today’s the last day to order presents from BitchMart with guaranteed delivery by December 25th!
Share what you’re reading in the comments!