30 Rock

“Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt” is Funny, But Has Its Flaws

On Friday, Netflix released the first season of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, a new sitcom that’s the brainchild of Tina Fey and 30 Rock showrunner Robert Carlock.

Only Five of Fall's 21 New Network TV Comedies Focus Primarily on Female Stars

Anna Faris (left) and Rebel Wilson star in two of network TV’s five new female-focused comedies coming up this fall.  What are you doing with your summer? Catching up with friends? Starting a fun, new creative project? Just kicking back and relaxing? Wrong! The... Read more »

Sitcoms are the Golden Land of Feminist TV Characters

Pop culture made me a feminist. As a suburban girl in the early 90s, I picked up my beliefs about equality from some books at the library and a copy of Cyndi Lauper’s “She’s So Unusal.” ... Read more »

What 30 Rock Tells Us About Home Health Workers

On television and in real life, home health aides are an underpaid, overworked, and invisible workforce. Like Elisa (Salma Hayek) on season three of 30 Rock, they feed, bathe, cook, and clean for the nation’s elderly folks and people with disabilities in their homes. Yet these... Read more »

Goodbye, Liz Lemon and 30 Rock

Tonight, 30 Rock ends its seven-year run. I’m a fan of the show, but I think it’s time to say goodbye to Liz Lemon, Tina Fey’s goofy loser star of the show.  Lemon is one of the best characters on TV: she’s a hard-working, independent, sloppy person that... Read more »

When Women Run the Show

Though there’s been a lot of talk of girl power on TV, there’s not nearly enough gender parity behind the scenes of the small screen. Read more »

Thursday Night 'Lights: My Funny Valentine

Valentine’s Day is a tricky holiday for TV shows, no matter if the characters are coupled or single, happy or miserable, or somewhere in between. The TNL lineup (and last week’s Parks and Rec) all tackled February 14, with mixed results. Here’s what worked, and what didn... Read more »

Thursday Night 'Lights: Does 30 Rock Need a Shake Up?

This week’s lineup was an odd one: two new episodes of 30 Rock, a new episode of Parks and Rec and a repeat of Up All Night. (Even though there was no Office this time, it seems we might have a ... Read more »

Thursday Night 'Lights: Liz Lemon Needs a Divorce From Tina Fey

In this week’s TNL, it’s all about  30 Rock—specifically, the problem that arises from Tina Fey so closely identifying with her character, Liz Lemon. This week’s episode especially magnified the havoc this wreaks on her long-suffering fictional alter-ego, in both her... Read more »

On Our Radar

Here’s what we’ve been reading this week. We need to be careful not to let our talk of Paula Deen slip into schaudenfreude. You know, the whole “Shit [blank] Says to…[blank]” meme has proven to be a... Read more »

Thursday Night 'Lights: New Year, New Lineup

So with the start of 2012 ushers in a new lineup on Thursday nights on NBC. With Community and Whitney replaced by 30 Rock and Up All Night, we have a comedy block in which three out of the four series are headlined by women, which is pretty awesome. So how did... Read more »

Pages